Each year, the flu causes students to miss an average of five days of class, and studies have shown that flu symptoms can have a significant impact on a student’s academic progress. To help keep UW–Madison students healthy, University Health Services (UHS) offers free flu shots during the fall semester. The cost of the flu shot is covered by student health fees.
Here are a few reminders to share with your student:
- A flu shot helps protect you and those around you. Find a day, time, and location that works for your schedule at https://schedule-my-flu-shot.as.me/uw-madison.
- Get vaccinated as soon as possible. It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against the flu.
- Save time and complete your registration/consent form when you schedule your appointment.
- Bring your insurance card to your flu shot appointment.
- Wear a face covering to your flu shot appointment.
- Flu shots help reduce the transmission of the virus if more people are immunized; the flu won’t spread as fast in a highly immunized population.
Watch this video on how to get a free flu shot from UHS: