Frequently Asked Questions

Current FAQs

Family Weekend: When can I check-in and can I still buy tickets for events?

Family Weekend, hosted by the UW-Madison Parent Program, is an opportunity for parents, family members and guests of students to visit campus and participate in the Wisconsin experience with their Badgers.

  • Family Weekend 2016 is October 21–23. Check-in will be held at Gordon Dining and Event Center from 1:00 - 7:00 p.m. on Friday, October 21. There will also be an opportunity to check-in on Saturday October 22 from 8:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
  • Tickets are still available for the Wisconsin Singers performance on Saturday October 22 at 7:30 p.m. The performance will be held at Mills Concert Hall on 455 N. Park St. Tickets are $10 per person. Call or email the Parent Program to add them to your reservation!
  • The Musically Infused Brunch is currently at capacity, and we are unable to add any tickets to any reservation.
  • For more information about this event, visit the Family Weekend information page, or contact the Parent Program at or 608-262-3977.

How can I add money to my student’s Wiscard?

Money can be added to your student’s Wiscard at any time. There are three ways you or your student can deposit money onto the student’s Wiscard.

  • Online. Visit the Wiscard Web site.
  • Mail in a check. Fill out the appropriate deposit form found here and mail it in to the corresponding mailing address. Be sure that your student's ID number is in the memo portion of the check.
  • In person. Visit the Wiscard Office at 1308 W. Dayton Street (Union South), Room 149.

Are flu shots availble for students?

Yes! Getting a flu shot is easy and takes only a few minutes. Students can go to University Health Services (UHS), 333 East Campus Mall, 6th floor Green Clinic, now through Friday, November 18 for free flu shots. Students need to show their student IDs and are asked to wear a shirt with roll-up sleeves. The clinic is open between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. UHS also hosts campus flu shot clinics around campus: Friday, Sept. 23 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Gordon Dining & Event Center (2nd floor, Sonata/Concerto Rooms) Tuesday, Sept. 27 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Bascom Hill Friday, Oct. 7 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Health Sciences Learning Center (HSLC-Atrium) Tuesday, Oct. 11 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Union South (Varsity Hall 1) Thursday, Oct. 20 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Dejope Hall (Lake Mendota Room) Tuesday, Nov. 1 Noon to 4 p.m. Chemistry Building (Room 1371) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that everyone aged 6 months or older get a seasonal influenza vaccination every year. We strongly encourage all students to get flu shots. For more information, visit the UHS website.

How do I support my student if he/she is experiencing roommate conflict?

It's completely normal for conflict to develop between roommates as both students may be sharing a room for the first time, perhaps with someone who is quite different from himself or herself. In all healthy relationships, there may be some conflicts and learning to communicate through them helps the relationship grow deeper. Most students are able to work things out when they discuss issues directly with one another. As a parent, you can support your student through this process by referring him or her to resources provided by University Housing, rather than by getting directly involved yourself. If the roommates cannot work things out themselves, encourage your student to contact his or her House Fellow. House Fellows are upper-class students who undergo a rigorous selection and training process. An important role of House Fellows is to help students create a comfortable living situation. They are trained in conflict resolution are able to discuss roommate conflicts privately or with your student and his/her roommate to find a compromise. If no negotiation is possible, the House Fellows will then contact the appropriate staff within University Housing to seek further solutions to the situation. These five steps will help you address just about any roommate situation that may arise for your student:

  1. Listen.
  2. Ask your student clarifying questions to get to the root of his or her worries. For example: “Is there something specific that has you worried?”
  3. Practice communicating.
  4. Allow your student to address the situation.
  5. Give him or her time to work through a solution.

My student is homesick – what can I do?

Homesickness is normal. As with any major transition period, students will have their ups and downs. Many students feel homesick at one time or another during their first year, but they often don’t talk about it. The transition from high school to college can be especially hard for the students who were not expecting it, because the change is so much more difficult than they thought it would be. Keeping in mind that every student’s transition to college is unique. Here are some ways you can be supportive of your student:

  • Reassure your student that they are not alone! Many students are feeling this way, but they might not be talking to other students about it.
  • Continue to listen with an open mind and be reassuring. Let your student know that you believe they will succeed.
  • Encourage your student to talk to their House Fellow. House Fellows are trained and experienced in supporting students who are homesick. They also have access to resources and people who can help.
  • Keep encouraging your student to make friends. For some students, it may be better to look around for other students who are alone and strike up a conversation. For others, it is better to connect with a group of students. Either way, reassure them that if do not find someone they connect with the first time they try, they likely will find that connection the second or third time. Check out our other FAQ for advice on meeting new people.
  • Encourage your student to attend events and join organizations. Another great way to meet new people is to get involved. There are more than 700 student organizations at UW–Madison that can help students find community and friends with similar interests. Students should continue doing things they love (the particular activities that have contributed to their success in getting to this point), as well as try new things. Volunteering or getting a job are also great ways to connect with other students and learn outside of the classroom.
  • The University Health Services Counseling Center is also an excellent, confidential resource for students who are homesick. For assistance with urgent mental health concerns, 24-hour crisis intervention services are available to UW–Madison students, and to others concerned about a UW–Madison student, by calling 608-265-5600.
  • Overall, remember that going from high school to college is a major life transition. Most importantly, continue to be supportive and reassuring, listen and use the information you learned at SOAR and through the Parent Program to refer your student back to on-campus resources and services that can help.

Additional Campus FAQs

FAQs by Topic


How will my student be successful and stay involved if he or she is commuting to the university?

At UW–Madison, most students choose to live on or near campus and typically stay in Madison on the weekends. Therefore, students who commute to the university may face added challenges, in addition to the adjustments all students experience when transitioning to college. Parents can support their students by encouraging them to take part in the clubs, organizations, work opportunities, and campus and community activities available to all students. It’s important that your student spend time on campus when he or she is not in class. Attending athletic events and performances, studying in the libraries, and spending time in the Madison community will help your student feel connected. It is also important to remind your student that he or she is a student first. Allowing your student quiet time to study at home, adjusting household responsibilities (particularly during exam times), and encouraging your student to take advantage of academic support will help your student stay focused on college.

Where do I find information about graduation?

The Office of the Chancellor coordinates Commencement here at UW–Madison. Their webpage hosts the schedules, attire information, parking details and other general information that you may find helpful as your student prepares to graduate.

My student is sick and missing classes. What should he/she do?

If a student misses classes due to illness, injury, family emergency, or some other reason, it is the responsibility of the student to notify his or her instructors as soon as possible. Your son/daughter should contact his or her professors to let them know of the situation and to develop a plan for making up the work. Accommodations and make-up procedures are at the discretion of the faculty member. The Division of Student Life will not send notice of absence to instructional staff unless the student is unable to do so.

My student is struggling with his academic schedule and not sure what classes to take for next semester. What is the best way to seek advising?

Students who are struggling with their academic schedule or in need of academic counseling should seek the help of their advisor. Each student is assigned to an advisor upon enrollment. Undeclared students are assigned an advisor in the Cross-College Advising Office. Once a student declares a major, he or she will be assigned an advisor in that major. Students should connect with their advisor when they have a question about their academic choices on campus. There may be times when they are feeling perplexed by the overwhelming opportunities presented to them on campus or generally unclear about what they’re supposed to be doing. This is a good time to connect. As a general rule, it is best to see an advisor early. The registration period is the busiest time of the semester for advisors and it can be difficult to get an appointment. Students should evaluate their classes and assess how the semester is going in October, and meet with an advisor before the busy period starts. It’s important to plan ahead. A student may send the advisor an e-mail if there is a short or simple question. Regardless of the reason for seeing an advisor, it’s best to not let any situation get out of control.

How do I see if my student made the Dean’s List?

The Dean’s List is among the ways that UW–Madison recognizes the academic excellence of its students. At the conclusion of each semester, high-achieving students are included on the list and generally receive a letter of recognition from schools or colleges. The honor is also noted on student transcripts. To make the list more accessible to students and parents, the Registrar’s Office hosts a searchable website of honorees at To be eligible for the Dean’s List, students must complete a minimum of 12 graded degree credits during that semester. Each school or college sets its own GPA requirements to receive honors. Due to privacy laws, questions about a particular student’s eligibility for the Dean’s List should come from the student, and should be directed to the academic affairs section of the dean’s office in the school or college in which the student is enrolled. Questions about the website or eligibility can also be directed to In addition to the new website, University Communications sends notices of Dean’s List honorees to local newspapers across the state and country. Please note that a student must have a valid home address on file with the university for this information to reach a hometown newspaper. To change hometown listings, students should log in to the Student Center module of My UW–Madison at and select the Personal Information tab. Announcements are typically sent to the largest-circulation newspaper in the student’s home zip code and take several weeks to process after the end of each semester. University Communications also sends a similar list of graduation announcements. Questions about newspaper publishing schedules are best directed to newspapers. However, resends or problems related to newspaper distribution can be directed to


How does my student find a campus job?

Students who would like to find work on or off campus during the semester should follow these basic guidelines:

  • Be proactive! Check the Job Center every day; new jobs are posted daily.
  • Explore the “Links” tab, found on the Job Center homepage. Certain departments post job openings on their own site before posting them on the Job Center.
  • Students who are eligible for Work Study should indicate that on applications, resumes, or cover letters.
  • Remember, campus jobs are constantly becoming available, but the best time to search is at the start of a semester.
  • Consider volunteering on campus. A volunteer position can lead to a job in that area.


How can I add money to my student’s Wiscard?

Money can be added to your student’s Wiscard at any time. There are three ways you or your student can deposit money onto the student’s Wiscard.

  • Online. Visit the Wiscard Web site.
  • Mail in a check. Fill out the appropriate deposit form found here and mail it in to the corresponding mailing address. Be sure that your student's ID number is in the memo portion of the check.
  • In person. Visit the Wiscard Office at 1308 W. Dayton Street (Union South), Room 149.

How much money should my student put in his/her Housing Food Account?

The average student uses about $600 per semester on his/her Wiscard for food. However, it is recommended that students begin with $300 in their account.  Any money remaining on a student's Wiscard will automatically carry forward from semester to semester.

We are preparing our tax return and want to know how to obtain the 1098T form.

You will need to make arrangements with your student to obtain the 1098T form, which contains important tax information related to the payment of tuition and other educational expenses. Since tax reporting can change as the tax season progresses, please visit the FAQs for Tax Reporting web page provided by the Bursar’s office. Students access the form using these steps:

  1. The university now provides access to the 1098T tax forms electronically. Students should have received an e-mail from GetMyDocument ( on or around January 8, which lists a website link and instructions for viewing and printing their 1098T forms. Please encourage your student to watch for this e-mail and to follow the instructions for retrieving this tax form.
  2. If students do not receive the e-mail, they can access and download their 1098T tax form by going directly to and following the instructions for logging in and securely accessing their data. If they have trouble accessing their 1098T tax form, they can call 800-756-4311. Representatives are available Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
  3. Students with questions regarding the data included on the form can call the Bursar’s Office at 608-262-3611, or e-mail:
  4. If students do not download their 1098T form by January 20, it will be mailed to the same address as their tuition bill.


What are some safe, healthy and fun ways for my student to be involved on campus?

One of the greatest things about UW–Madison’s large student population is the number of options that are available on campus. There are over 850 student organizations on campus to get involved in.  Some of these organizations are academic-based and provide excellent ways for your student to network and become more involved within their field of study, such as the Institute of Industrial Engineers, the Sports Business Club, or Women in Medicine.  Encourage your student to check within his or her academic department to see what organizations they offer. Other student organizations are interest-based such as the Figure Skating Club, Hoofers Club, or Optima Dance.  Encourage your student to utilize organizations as ways to explore new interests and continue activities he/she may have been involved with in high school. There are exciting events happening on campus and in the Madison community every day. Encourage your student to learn more by visiting the Events Calendar, which lists activities happening on campus, and the Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau website, which highlights all there is to see and do in Madison.

How do I receive information in the event of an emergency?

The Parent Program will send an email notice if there is something critical happening on campus. The email will include what the situation is, what campus is doing about it, and how you can support your student. (If you are not a member of the Parent Program click here to sign up.)

How do I receive information about my student’s health care?

The privacy of health care information and medical records for university students that are maintained by University Health Services (UHS) is protected by a federal law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and several state laws. The protections of FERPA and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which also protects the privacy of personal health information, are very similar. In compliance with these laws, as a general policy, UHS does not disclose information to family members or others without the consent of the student. However, in an emergency situation, UHS will exercise its professional judgment to determine if family members, usually parents, should be informed of the situation. If you want information about non-emergency health care situations, it is best to work through your student, asking him or her to give UHS permission to speak with you about a health concern. And, while UHS needs written consent to formally release medical records, usually a phone call from the student can grant permission for the UHS staff to speak with you.

What is the best way to contact my student in case of a family emergency?

Parents, guardians, or other family members often find it difficult to contact students in times of crisis, such as medical emergencies or the death of a family member. All emergency inquiries should be directed to the University Police Department, at 608-262-2957. Every effort will be made to contact the student about the emergency situation.

How does my student sign up for WiscAlerts?

Signing up for WiscAlerts text messages is simple and takes just a few moments. Students can enroll by logging into the My UW Portal, navigating to the Services tab and looking for the WiscAlerts logo. Parents are not able to sign up for Wiscalerts but will be notified by the Parent Program if there is critical campus information.

Out of Class

My student is interested in Greek Life. How does fraternity and sorority recruitment work?

Fraternity recruitment takes place during the first three weeks of the fall semester. Through a wide variety of events, students will have the opportunity to find the right fraternity for them. After recruitment is about two-thirds over, chapters will begin to give out “bids.” A bid is an invitation to join a fraternity as a pledge/new member. Once your student has signed a bid, he has committed to pledging that house, and cannot sign another bid until being released from the first. If your student is interested in learning about the opportunities fraternity life has to offer, he should complete an online contact form. This form does not oblige a student to join but allows a student to receive information about upcoming events and activities. Sorority recruitment is a mutual selection process that introduces potential members to the sorority community and its many aspects. Recruitment takes place during the first two weeks of the fall semester. Students who are interested in rushing a sorority may go online and fill out the electronic registration form. Once recruitment is over, a student has the choice to pledge the chapter she received a “bid” from. A bid is an invitation to join the sorority as a new member. Pledging is a period where students learn about the sorority’s history and rituals. More information about fraternities and sororities can be found on their website.

My student is interested in finding a spiritual community. Where could he or she find this information?

To view religious organizations on and around campus, visit WIN, the Wisconsin Involvement Network. Additionally, your student can find information about spiritual wellness on the UWell website.

What are the benefits of joining a student organization?

Get involved on campus.  SOO connects students with involvement opportunities, including more than 800 student organizations, undergraduate research opportunities, volunteer service opportunities, sports clubs, music groups, internships, and social fraternities and sororities. Build leadership skills. Develop skills in communication, team building, conflict resolution, leading effective meetings, delegation, social justice, and more. Develop confidence. Focusing on self, developing confidence and motivation while working within groups.

What if my student is having a hard time finding a job?

Students who are facing troubles finding work on or off campus should follow these basic guidelines:

  • Be proactive! Check the Job Center every day as new jobs are posted daily.
  • Explore the “Links” tab, found on the Job Center homepage. Some departments post job openings on their own site before posting them on the Job Center.
  • If your student is eligible for Work Study, he or she should indicate so on his/her application, resume, or cover letter.
  • Remember, campus jobs are constantly becoming available but the best time to search is at the start of a semester.
  • Consider volunteering on campus. A volunteer position can lead to a job in that area.

My student is having a hard time meeting new people at school. What advice do you have?

Many students have a difficult time adjusting to college. It can be especially hard for students who are not used to being away from home. Your student’s house fellow is a great resource. House fellows are trained in helping students adjust to college. Your student should continue to build a relationship with his or her house fellow. The Division of Recreational Sports has many opportunities to get involved and meet other students through their Intramural Sports Program, with opportunities for beginner to veteran athletes. Another way for students to feel more connected on campus is to join a student organization. The Center for Leadership & Involvement (CfLI) is located on the second floor of the Red Gym at 716 Langdon Street. The CfLI website lists over 850 different organizations. The Wisconsin Involvement Network (WIN) allows students to identify, organize, and coordinate their out-of-class involvement experiences. Getting a job on campus is also a great way to feel connected and meet other students. Most campus jobs are flexible to accommodate a student's schedule. The Student Job Center website lists both university and non-university positions. UW–Madison is a vibrant place, and there are many exciting events happening on campus each day. Encourage your student to learn more by visiting the Events Calendar. Connect to campus via social media. UW–Madison maintains active Facebook and Twitter accounts that highlight all of the interesting events, activities and happenings related to the university. From leadership roles to volunteering to social organizations, there are countless ways for students to explore their interests through various involvement opportunities.

Send a Smile

In addition to the items on the Send a Smile page, what are some ways I can let my student know I am thinking of him or her?

Students often appreciate staying updated about the activities they were involved in during their high school years. Sending newspaper clippings that feature the soccer team, Science Olympiad, or other hometown happenings can be a great addition to a letter. Healthy snacks are also a great thing to send your student. Reminding students to eat well, get a good night’s sleep, and keep up with exercise will help them throughout the year, especially during busy academic times. Sending snacks students can share is a great way to encourage new friendships. A quick email or text message is another great way to stay connected. Sending your student a quick note saying “have a great day” or “good luck on your exam”  means a lot. For more suggestions, visit the Send a Smile page.

What are the best times to send my student something during the year?

It’s always a great time to let your student know that you are thinking of him or her. There are few key times during the year when students appreciate an extra reminder. In October students experience their first semester of midterms and papers. This can be a busy time for students — hearing from home can help keep spirits high and stress low. In December students may be feeling a great deal of pressure as they are finishing papers and preparing for final exams. This is an ideal time to send words of encouragement or a care package. In February extended periods of cold temperatures and winter months may leave students feeling a little restless. This can also be a great time to remind your student that spring is fast approaching. March brings another wave of midterms and papers, and words of encouragement are appreciated. In May stress levels tend to increase as students complete papers and projects and take final exams. This is a great time of the year to send your student something to help him or her finish strong.


How does my student get a bus pass?

All UW–Madison students are eligible for the Associated Students of Madison (ASM) bus pass, which provides unlimited, free access to all city routes. The campus bus routes 80, 91, 82 and 84 are free to everyone, including students, staff, and visitors.