Parent Program Fri, 12 Feb 2016 21:15:14 +0000 en-US hourly 1 My student is homesick – what can I do? Wed, 02 Dec 2015 22:22:53 +0000 Homesickness is normal. As with any major transition period, students will have their ups and downs. Many students feel homesick at one time or another during their first year, but they often don’t talk about it. The transition from high school to college can be especially hard for the students who were not expecting it, because the change is so much more difficult than they thought it would be.

Keeping in mind that every student’s transition to college is unique, here are some suggestions for ways you can be supportive of your student during this time.

  • Reassure your student that they are not alone! Many students are feeling this way, but they might not be talking to other students about it.
  • Continue to listen with an open mind and be reassuring. Let your student know that you believe they will succeed at this.
  • Encourage your student to talk to their House Fellow. This is helpful if there are homesickness issues or roommate issues. House Fellows are trained and experienced in supporting students who are homesick. They also have access to resources and people who can help
  • Keep encouraging your student to make friends. For some students, it may be better to look around for other students who are alone and strike up a conversation. For others, it is better to connect with a group of students. Either way, reassure them that if do not find someone they connect with the first time they try, they likely will find that connection the second or third time. Check out our other FAQ for advice on meeting new people.
  • Encourage your student to attend events and join organizations. Another great way to meet new people is to get involved. There are more than 700 student organizations at UW–Madison that can help students find community and friends with similar interests. Students should continue doing things they love (the particular activities that have contributed to their success in getting to this point), as well as try new things. Volunteering or getting a job are also great ways to connect with other students and learn outside of the classroom.
  • The University Health Services Counseling Center is also an excellent, confidential resource for students who are homesick. For assistance with urgent mental health concerns, 24-hour crisis intervention services are available to UW–Madison students, and to others concerned about a UW–Madison student, by calling 608-265-5600.

Overall, remember that going from high school to college is a major life transition. Most important, continue to be supportive and reassuring, listen and use the information you learned at SOAR and through the Parent Program to refer your student back to on-campus resources and services that can help.

]]> 0
Where can my student get a flu shot? Wed, 02 Dec 2015 22:26:39 +0000 Getting a flu shot is easy and takes only a few minutes. Students can go to University Health Services (UHS), 333 East Campus Mall, now through the end of the semester for free flu shots. The clinic is open Monday through Friday; 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Students need to show their student IDs and are asked to wear a shirt with roll-up sleeves. Students should make an appointment on the MyUHS account for their flu shot.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that everyone aged 6 months or older get a seasonal influenza vaccination every year. We strongly encourage all students to get flu shots. For more information, visit the UHS webpage.

]]> 0
Enrollment verification information: Where may we obtain a letter or son confirming my student’s enrollment for insurance purposes or eligibility for a scholarship? Wed, 02 Dec 2015 22:29:16 +0000 There are four ways to obtain a letter certifying enrollment at UW–Madison.

  • Students may visit the Registrar’s Office at 333 East Campus Mall Suite # 10101 to receive the letter or have the form completed while they wait.
  • Students may obtain a free certification from the National Student Clearinghouse by logging into the “My UW–Madison” web portal and selecting “Student Center.”
  • Students may send a signed, written request, including a pre-addressed, pre-stamped envelope, to the following address:

University of Wisconsin-Madison
Office of the Registrar
Transcripts & Certification – Enrollment Verification
333 East Campus Mall #10101
Madison, WI 53715-1384

  • Email a request which will be delivered via US Postal Service or Fax.

Click here to learn more about these options and requesting enrollment verification.

]]> 0
How can I add money to my student’s Wiscard? Tue, 26 Nov 2013 15:26:03 +0000 Money can be added to your student’s Wiscard at any time. There are three ways you or your student can deposit money onto the student’s Wiscard.

  • Online. Visit the Wiscard Web site.
  • Mail in a check. Fill out the appropriate deposit form found here and mail it in to the corresponding mailing address. Be sure that your student’s ID number is in the memo portion of the check.
  • In person. Visit the Wiscard Office at 1308 W. Dayton Street (Union South), Room 149.
]]> 0
In addition to the items on the Send a Smile page, what are some ways I can let my student know I am thinking of him or her? Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:13:36 +0000 Students often appreciate staying updated about the activities they were involved in during their high school years. Sending newspaper clippings that feature the soccer team, Science Olympiad, or other hometown happenings can be a great addition to a letter.

Healthy snacks are also a great thing to send your student. Reminding students to eat well, get a good night’s sleep, and keep up with exercise will help them throughout the year, especially during busy academic times. Sending snacks students can share is a great way to encourage new friendships.

A quick email or text message is another great way to stay connected. Sending your student a quick note saying “have a great day” or “good luck on your exam”  means a lot.

For more suggestions, visit the Send a Smile page.

]]> 0
What are the best times to send my student something during the year? Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:12:37 +0000 It’s always a great time to let your student know that you are thinking of him or her. There are few key times during the year when students appreciate an extra reminder.

In October students experience their first semester of midterms and papers. This can be a busy time for students — hearing from home can help keep spirits high and stress low.

In December students may be feeling a great deal of pressure as they are finishing papers and preparing for final exams. This is an ideal time to send words of encouragement or a care package.

In February extended periods of cold temperatures and winter months may leave students feeling a little restless. This can also be a great time to remind your student that spring is fast approaching.

March brings another wave of midterms and papers, and words of encouragement are appreciated.

In May stress levels tend to increase as students complete papers and projects and take final exams. This is a great time of the year to send your student something to help him or her finish strong.

]]> 0
How much money should my student put in his/her Housing Food Account? Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:06:58 +0000 The average student uses about $600 per semester on his/her Housing Food Account. However, it is recommended that students begin with $300 in their account. Students will automatically receive a refund for a Housing Food Account if the balance is $20 or greater at the end of the year. Balances that are less than $20 will be transferred to Campus Cash. Any money remaining in the Campus Cash account will automatically carry forward from semester to semester.

]]> 0
We are preparing our tax return and want to know how to obtain the 1098T form. Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:03:24 +0000 You will need to make arrangements with your student to obtain the 1098T form, which contains important tax information related to the payment of tuition and other educational expenses. Since tax reporting can change as the tax season progresses, please visit the FAQs for Tax Reporting web page provided by the Bursar’s office.

Students access the form using these steps:

  1. The university now provides access to the 1098T tax forms electronically. Students should have received an e-mail from GetMyDocument ( on or around January 8, which lists a website link and instructions for viewing and printing their 1098T forms. Please encourage your student to watch for this e-mail and to follow the instructions for retrieving this tax form.
  2. If students do not receive the e-mail, they can access and download their 1098T tax form by going directly to and following the instructions for logging in and securely accessing their data. If they have trouble accessing their 1098T tax form, they can call 800-756-4311. Representatives are available Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
  3. Students with questions regarding the data included on the form can call the Bursar’s Office at 608-262-3611, or e-mail:
  4. If students do not download their 1098T form by January 20, it will be mailed to the same address as their tuition bill.
]]> 0
What are the benefits of joining a student organization? Tue, 05 Mar 2013 21:55:34 +0000 Get involved on campus. 
SOO connects students with involvement opportunities, including more than 800 student organizations, undergraduate research opportunities, volunteer service opportunities, sports clubs, music groups, internships, and social fraternities and sororities.

Build leadership skills.
Develop skills in communication, team building, conflict resolution, leading effective meetings, delegation, social justice, and more.

Develop confidence.
Focusing on self, developing confidence and motivation while working within groups.

]]> 0
What if my student is having a hard time finding a job? Tue, 05 Mar 2013 21:38:09 +0000 Students who are facing troubles finding work on or off campus should follow these basic guidelines:

  • Be proactive! Check the Job Center every day as new jobs are posted daily.
  • Explore the “Links” tab, found on the Job Center homepage. Some departments post job openings on their own site before posting them on the Job Center.
  • If your student is eligible for Work Study, he or she should indicate so on his/her application, resume, or cover letter.
  • Remember, campus jobs are constantly becoming available but the best time to search is at the start of a semester.
  • Consider volunteering on campus. A volunteer position can lead to a job in that area.
]]> 0